SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181314 - 05/18/06 11:38 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Ahh Diki,
I don't gig, so I have no use for a reliable sound source, but you are speaking words of wisdom.

Ketron released a very small sound module recently, SD-2 something. Has anyone listened to it?

Fran, I think that sax and acoustic instruments in general would be very well auditioned if any of us could supply a midi file of a very well known tune, like Pink Panther soundtrack.

I have a very good midifile of it, if you are interested I can post it. And we all can post different versions and then decide who's playback is ...ahem...better.

#181315 - 05/19/06 03:53 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Theodore, personally, I found out all I needed to know..Even though I enjoy listening to different versions, in this context, it seems distressing to some.
I would think it best for this thread...come to an end[conclusion]..

Of course you can start another post, in fun..I would be willing to support your efforts..

BTW..I am referring to my "Newer is not always better " thread..not this thread [Scott's]..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-19-2006).]

#181316 - 05/19/06 05:59 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Fran,
Don't misunderstand me, but I am not in a "crusade" to showcase Bandstand or Hypersonic2 or anything, just for the sake of doing it.

I proposed recording other files because I believe it is one way, maybe the only way for me to contribute something you people here don't already know, or have not the means to find out unless you fork out hard earned cash. Some kind of giving back some of the nice things I have learned in this forum.

Of course, you did the right thing in telling me you don't need any more files to form an opinion.
Theodore

#181317 - 05/19/06 06:12 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Theodore, Actually I would like to hear more comparisons between Bandstand and Hypersonic2..And you are right, it would be beneficial to some of us looking to purchase these products..

#181318 - 05/19/06 06:28 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Umm.....if it matters, I think the Tyros 2 gave the better (or more believable) presentation overall. While the "G" has strong qualities for sure, for me, it still shows its age in the nuances of the music (much like my keyboard, 1998 GEM WK8).

I can't warm up to the cymbal sounds on the G. Too short, no decay, tick tick tick, too mechanical sounding. Tyros, much more realistic.

The other thing that stood out for me was how conjested the G gets when the music gets busy. At 1:45 into the piece, when the brass kicks in with a lot of splash cymbal and the jazz guitar gets busy, the Tyros does a better job of keeping things real, less blurring or veiling. If you really want to hear mush, this is where my WK8 falls down flat. During this passage, it's not pretty.

The G's sax sure does have a lot of bite, doesn't it? Is that the Growl Sax? Very nice.

I think when it comes to man-made sounds via electronics, things just keep getting better with technology. Faster processors, bigger wavetables, more accurate samples (better recording of), and electronics with more headroom (in both the digital and analog domains)...more realistic sounds or maybe it's better said, a more realistic presentation of the sounds.

So what's the score?

G-1000 = 8

Tyros 2 = 1

-mike

#181319 - 05/19/06 06:42 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
One of the big problems with arranger play (especially now even Roland have dropped the Chord Sequencer and no-one else has one either) is......... how the hell do you use the bend lever to accurately imitate a sax (or just about any other expressive sound) when your left hand is permanently tied up playing the friggin' chords??

You either have to spend your time bouncing back and forth between playing the chords and dashing back to the bend lever (and forget about a 'scoop' or 'fall' at a chord boundary) or basically just give up on the only technique that can make a keyboard actually sound like a real horn instead of some wanky stylophone sound.

The Tyros 2 has a button that allows you to lock in the left hand chord so you don't have to hold it down. This can also be programmed into registrations.
BEBOP

#181320 - 05/19/06 07:07 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
how the hell do you use the bend lever to accurately imitate a sax (or just about any other expressive sound) when your left hand is permanently tied up playing the friggin' chords??

Diki: Yep, this is the same thing that's frustrated me as well, but thanks to Tyros2's SA (SUPER ARTICULATION) voices, an acoustic instrument's unique 'expressive qualities' are emulated thru a combination of: key pressure (velocity), playing speed, combined with the note distance (interval). In addition, pitch bend and other SA noise (breath, etc) effects can be triggered via foot pedal, leaving the left hand free for triggering chords and left hand kb part play. This includes the ability to play both single or two note melodic fills in the left hand immediately following chords you play (to trigger chord recognition) without affecting that chord recognition, further enhancing LIVE play performance. - Scott

#181321 - 05/19/06 07:17 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
I'm curious to hear it. However, rapidshare is the bane of blind people worldwide due to that most horrific "please enter the text of the image" feature that they so callously and inconsiderately utilize.

Hi Rory (FAEbGBD): I attempted to send the MP3 (8.6Mb) to your forum profile's email address, but the server rejected it, saying the file is too large. Do you have another email adress I can send it to?

If not, perhaps another member here might host it. Unfortunately, available webspace on my server is currently fill.

Scott

#181322 - 05/19/06 07:22 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Mike , I thought just the opposite in relation to the cymbals, ride and crash[especially the crash..Roland sample seemed longer to me]..Give it a listen ,again..

#181323 - 05/19/06 07:26 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I've got a test web server in my office now. Here's the samples that Scott Yee posted.

(no links please)

http://134.84.113.36/mp3s/honkytonkg1000.mp3

http://134.84.113.36/mp3s/honkytonktyros2.mp3

-mike

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online